What Is So Great About Those Blueberries?
Here are 8 reasons to add blueberries to your diet.
1. Blueberries are relatively low in calories. A 1-cup serving of blueberries contains only 80 calories.
2. Blueberries are chock full of nutrients. Blueberries are packed with vitamins C, E, riboflavin, niacin, folate, iron, magnesium, potassium and manganese. They are full of fiber… with nearly 4 gram of fiber per 1 cup serving.
3. Blueberries may promote heart health. Blueberries contain a category of phytonutrients called polyphenols which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and can contribute to heart health and a reduction of other chronic diseases. Blueberries may also help lower blood pressure. A study conducted on obese subjects with metabolic syndrome, found that those who consumed a blueberry beverage over an eight-week period had a decrease in their blood pressure when compared to those who consumed a placebo beverage.
4. Blueberries may improve insulin sensitivity. A study found that drinking blueberry smoothies helped pre-diabetic obese adults improve insulin sensitivity. Anthocyanins, compounds in blueberries that give them their blue hue, contain antioxidant properties, which may contribute to improved insulin sensitivity.
5. Blueberries may contribute to brain health and improve cognitive function. A study found that object memory loss that occurs normally with aging can be not only prevented but also reversed by feeding older rats blueberries. Blueberries increase the production of feel-good dopamine. Dopamine is a natural neurotransmitter (brain messenger) that tends to be low in Parkinson’s.
6. Blueberries may help fight cancer. They are a rich source of the phytonutrients ellagic acid. Ellagic acid has proven anticancer and genetic-material-protection capabilities. It also encourages a healthy rate of apoptosis… how the body seeks out and destroys harmful or damaged cells, like cancer cells.
7. Blueberries contain catechins. These chemicals activate fat-burning genes in abdominal fat cells to assist with weight loss, and belly fat loss in particular. According to research at Tufts University, regularly ingesting catechins increases abdominal fat loss by 77 percent and double total weight loss.
8. And finally, blueberries taste great.Francois Hacault BSc, DC Complete Chiropractic 1st Floor 15High Street St. Albans 01727 848 481